时间:2019-01-20 作者:英语课 分类:礼节美语


英语课

陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作,他在走廊上遇到了刚吃完中饭回来的美国同事Amy。


(Office ambience)


C:Amy, 吃过饭了吗?


A:I did. A group from the office went out together. We missed you.


C:我今天特别忙,所以从家里带了便当。


A:You have a worried look. Is anything wrong?


C:你可真是好眼力。我们部门昨天来了位新同事,是坐轮椅的残疾人。今天中午大家都出去吃饭了,办公室只有我们两个人。


A:That was a good opportunity for you to make her feel welcome. Was there a problem?


C:跟她在一起,我觉得很不自在,不知道怎样做才得体。


A:What happened?


C:因为只有我们两人,所以我上来先自我介绍。


A:That's exactly right. Why was that a problem?


C:我记得你说过,自我介绍的时候应该主动跟别人握手。


A:That's correct.


C:但是我不知道她能不能握手,所以就没有把手伸过去。


A:What happened?


C:结果她也介绍了自己,然后主动跟我握了手。


A:You handled that exactly right. If she had not been able to shake hands, she would not have offered hers.


C:那以后遇到残疾人,是不是都要等他们先伸手呢?


A:Yes. You never want to make assumptions 1 about what someone in a wheelchair can or cannot do.


******


当天下午下班前,陈豪来到Amy的办公室。


C:Amy, 你现在有时间吗?


A:Come on in. Tell me what else happened with your wheel-chair bound 2 co-worker.


C:她在我后面热饭。微波炉的位置挺高的,我不知道她需不需要帮忙。


A:What did you do?


C:后来看她要把饭盒放进微波炉里确实很吃力,所以我就说,“May I help you?”需要帮忙吗?


A:Your instincts 3 were on target. You were right to ask her before you took action.


C:可是当时我就傻傻地站在那儿,挺别扭的。


A:What happened next?


C:她表示了感谢,然后让我帮她把饭盒放到了微波炉里。


A:By asking her if you could help, you gave her the option to accept or reject your offer. Persons with disabilities are accustomed to doing things for themselves.


C:我也是这么想,残疾人其实都是很独立的,而且能到咱们公司来工作,一定很有能力。


A:People with disabilities appreciate offers of help, but don't like others to make assumptions about what they can or can't do.


C:下次再遇到残疾人,我该怎么做呢?


A:It is quite simple, when you introduced yourself, you let her instigate 4 the handshake. When it appeared that she might have difficulty with something, you asked her if you could help.


 



假定,臆断( assumption的名词复数 ); (责任的)承担; (他人债务的)承继; [the A-][基督教]1)。 圣母升天
  • Their reasoning was based on a set of unstated assumptions. 他们的推理是以一系列未说明的假定为基础的。
  • Your argument is based on a set of questionable assumptions. 你的论证建立在一套有问题的假设上。
adj.一定的,必然的;受约束的,有义务的
  • I feel honor bound to repay the money I borrowed.我觉得有责任归还我借的钱。
  • If he signs that paper,he will be bound hand and foot.如果他签署那份文件,他就会受到束缚。
本能,天性,直觉( instinct的名词复数 )
  • The sight of the hopeless little boy aroused her maternal instincts. 那个绝望的小男孩的模样唤起了她的母性。
  • Don't ask me; follow your instincts and do what you think is right. 不要问我,凭你自己的直觉行事,你认为什么是对的就去做什么。
v.教唆,怂恿,煽动
  • His object was to instigate a little rebellion on the part of the bishop.他的目的是,在主教方面煽起一场小小的造反。
  • It would not prove worthwhile to instigate a nuclear attack.挑起核攻击最终是不值得的。